Sunday, June 6, 2010

Grandpa's 90th Birthday Cake/Party

This past weekend was busy with a lot of celebrations! Grandpa Gale is turning 90 this coming week and, so for him, we had a family reunion that involved a huge Birthday party. Friday night was a family reunion BBQ with about 120 of his posterity. There were a lot of his posterity missing, but there was also a lot of them there! Keith and I counted and there were all of his 4 children and spouses there, and all but 4 of his blood Grandchildren there. The main part of his posterity that was missing was Great-Grandchildren, Great-Great-Grandchildren and spouses to the Grandchildren. The reason I am posting this on my cake blog is because I made Grandpa Gale's Birthday cake. He had a party were everyone and anyone he ever knew (who are still alive) was invited. I think we got about 250 slices out of the cake, and we only came home with about 5 pieces left (it was a BIG party!)
Here are pictures of the cake and some from the party (they uploaded backwards, so you see the pictures of the detail and back of the cake before you see the front...sorry!)

My Parents and all but one of their kids (We missed you Emily!) We are in no order what so ever, I think my Mom was just happy to have everyone standing in one spot for a picture!
Can you tell what type of shoes our family prefers?
Me and Grandpa with his cake.

Up close detail of the flowers and the frames. The flowers were Gum Paste and the frames were chocolate painted with pearl dust.


The back of the cake (sorry again that you are looking at the pictures in a funny order!)



The cake front. The bottom layer was Chocolate with Raspberry filling. The top two layers were white cake with Strawberry filling. For those of us who don't like fondant, there was butter cream icing under the fondant. All the pictures were from Grandpa's childhood.

My Sister took some more pictures with her nicer camera, when I get those I will post another picture if you can see the cake detail better.




8 comments:

  1. It was the perfect cake for the birthday party. Thanks so, so much for doing this. It made Grandpa so happy too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Amber!! You are so talented!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A-mazing Amber. You did such a beautiful job. Wish I could have been there to taste it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The frames are amazing can I ask how you made these , what mould you used please? I am making a 40th birthday for one of my childhood friends soon and I want to put photos on it in frames like these x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a fantastic 90th Birthday it was!! I just loved the cake and other details are also pretty nice. It was so entertaining for me to have a look at everyone enjoying this fun family bash to the fullest. My dad’s birthday was in last month and we too hosted a DIY party at one of the event venues. He loved our surprise a lot and was happy meeting his old friends after a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a beautiful cake! Can you please tell me what size cake pans that you used? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete